- Start: 2019
- Partner: Clean Shores Norway
- OMV Focus Area: Business Principles and Social Responsibility
- Supported UN Sustainable Development Goals: 13 – Climate Change, 14 – Life below water, 15 – Life on land
- Liberating the Norwegian coastal areas from plastic waste and keep them clean
- Strengthen employee engagement for voluntary environmental commitment
Every year, the oceans absorb up to 13 mn tons of plastic waste and trillion of micro plastics pervade marine environments. Marine species can become entangled in or ingest plastic debris, which causes their certain death, while micro plastics end up in the seafood we eat. Norway is the European country with the longest shoreline, tackling marine pollution is a key topic for Norway at home and abroad.
In cooperation with Clean Shores Norway, a non-profit beach cleaning association, OMV is tackling the problem of plastic waste in Norway’s coastal areas. In Cooperation with Clean Shores, OMV employees will be volunteering in beach clean ups. The collected waste will be recycled in the recycling and heat plant facility in Stavanger. This initiative not only supports the cleanup of coastal areas in Norway to protect the ocean, but also helps the local communities in the conservation of an intact eco-system. Moreover, employees have the possibility to engage themselves in the protection of nature by taking an active part in keeping their local beaches clean.
More info: www.cleanshores.global