- Start: 2019
- Country: Austria
- Partners: Austrian Research Center for Forests (BFW)
- OMV Focus Area: Business Principles and Social Responsibility
- Supported UN Sustainable Development Goals: 13 – Climate Action
- Contribution to climate protection within the focus area "Business Principles and Social Responsibility”
- Increase of CO2 absorption through future climate-fitter forests
- Raising awareness on climate through involving employees in research projects
As part of its social responsibility, OMV is supporting the climate-research forest of the Austrian Research Center for Forests (BFW) in the Lower Austrian district of Matzen-Raggendorf, a research project that will run to 2030. BFW will plant the research forest in the east of Lower Austria, after which the forest will be cultivated, managed and studied. From 2021, the climate-research forest will be open to the public for recreational purposes and a forest nature trail will invite visitors to find out more about nature and the importance of woodland.
The climate-research forest is one of multiple climate projects within the focus area “Business Principles and Social Responsibility” of the OMV Sustainability Strategy. In the area of climate protection, OMV takes measures at all levels. In addition to achieving a continuous reduction in the carbon intensity of OMV’s operations and product portfolio, the company is investing hundreds of millions of euros in innovation projects, creating offers for CO2 offsetting, and planning CSR initiatives in fields such as recycling, energy efficiency and support for greening measures in the city of Vienna.
This project also contributes to the UN Sustainable Development Goal of Climate Action.
More information: www.klimaforschungswald.at